Friday, March 31, 2006

Thought: The book of Daniel

Pheee-ew: difficulties of interpretation in the book of Daniel. Do you know how many incredibly intelligent and learned people have devoted YEARS of study to the question: "Was Daniel written in the second or the sixth century BC?" ? One book I'm reading lists 28 commentaries and over 300 other works in its bibliography - i.e. that's how many books the author had to read to write his book - and it's only a fairly 'light' commentary on Dan!

And do you know what kills me - they haven't found an answer yet! Isn't that crazy!?

This actually peels off the corner of the sticking plaster and takes a furtive, inquisitive look at one of the potential wounds in approaching theology that I can see ahead of me - if the experts disagree so much on so many things, then how can we be sure about anything we believe?! However, it might well be the case that when the time comes to operate, I find that it's actually been healed by a greater understanding of what my faith is based on.

Yours with mild confusion.

D.