Saturday, March 18, 2006

Thought: Violence on TV


This is by no means an original thought, but I would like to see media role models setting a good example, especially in the area of conflict resolution.

Violence is the key method of resolving differences in almost any media piece. It's a staple plot line in a TV show or movie to have a protaganist (hero) overcoming an enemy using violence. For example, see shrek 2, where Shrek storms the palace to kiss Fiona, while riding on the back of a giant muffin man. And this a kid's movie!

I'm less worried that people will go and shoot one another after watching a violent film - I'm also talking about programs like Eastenders and the OC, where people get violent and shout at one another to resolve differences. The (primary school aged) children that I work with see violence - shouting, aggression, expressions of anger, as the first alternative in times of disagreement. They learn this from their parents, and from the TV. Part of my work is to teach them other ways to deal with these things, but it would be much easier if they had at least some examples to work from.

I don't know whether I am a 100% pacifist. There certainly seems to be something inside of us that loves seeing good triumph over evil in a pitched battle. I can imagine that Die Hard would be pretty weak if Bruce Willis had been like 'Yippie Ki Ay Cowboy, Let's sit down and dialogue about our differences in a dispassionate and empathetic manner" I think it really relates to the question of whether we can agree with the principle of a just war or not, about which I'm not sure. However, there seems to be so many examples of violence, of win/lose situations, of people imposing their wills onto others, that we never actually get to see any GOOD examples, of people dealing with conflict in such a way that it brings mutual benefit to both parties.

I think we should have something to re-dress the balance. Now, script writers? Authors? Anyone willing to take up the challenge?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gingerbread man, D, Gingerbread man